These scholarships provide opportunities for individuals from selected developing Commonwealth countries to undertake postgraduate study in New Zealand. Commonwealth Scholarships play an important role in addressing human resource development needs of developing countries. The scholarships are awarded to candidates of strong academic merit who are expected to make a significant contribution to the development of their home country following completion of their studies.
You can visit the New Zealand Foreign Affairs and Trade website to check eligibility.
You may study at postgraduate level in New Zealand. We recommend these sectors and subjects for eligible students from your country.
Note: These subjects could be useful keywords when you search the course catalogue on each education institution website.
- Climate Change and Resilience
- Climate Change and the Environment
- Climate change
- Climate change science
- Natural resource management
- Rural development
- Water management
- Disaster Risk Management
- Disaster management
- Emergency management
- Geotechnical engineering
- Food Security and Agriculture
- Agricultural science
- Farm management
- Agricultural technology
- Food technology
- Supply chain management
- Renewable Energy
- Solar, hydro-electric and wind energy
- Energy engineering
- Renewable energy distribution systems
- Energy economics
- Energy efficiency
- Energy sector reforms and management
- Good Governance
- Public sector auditing
- Public financial management
- Public management
- Public policy
Note: Applications received other than above-mentioned priority areas will be Rejected
To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a Pakistani/AJ&K national & permanent resident of Pakistan/AJ&K.
- Age must not be more than 39 years for Phd & 35 years Masters at the time of application
- As at 31 March 2019 applicant must have completed at least 12 months of work experience as full-time (provide verified proof)
- Be available to start your academic studies in September/October 2019
- For Master Scholarship, candidate by closing date of application must hold a first class degree complete in all aspects in graduate qualification (16 years degree i.e. MSC/MA/MBA/BS/BBA etc) in the relevant field of study.
- For PhD Scholarship, candidate by closing date of application must hold a first class degree complete in all aspects in postgraduate qualification (17/18 years MS/MPhil degree) in the relevant field of study.
- Provide a verified copy of a document that is stamped and signed as a true copy of the original (all documents must be attested by issuing authority i.e. HEC, IBCC, PMDC etc)
New Zealand Requirements:
- I am not currently serving in the military.
- Within the last five years I have not had a New Zealand Scholarship terminated because of poor academic performance or breach of scholarship code of conduct.
- I expect to meet immigration requirements for a student visa to New Zealand.
- I expect to meet the academic entry requirements (including English language ability) for my planned scholarship study.
- I will be able to describe how the planned scholarship study I want to do will enable me to contribute to sustainable development in my home country.
- I am committed to returning to my home country for two years or more at the end of my scholarship to contribute to its development.
- Letter of Support (PhD students only) A letter from your proposed Supervisor stating they have been in contact with you regarding your proposed research. If you are shortlisted, you would be required to receive a formal offer of place from the institution, which would be subject to academic and language requirements
- Provide a verified copy of a document that is stamped and signed as a true copy of the original. (The exact requirements for a verified document may vary depending on the institutions. As a general rule a document can be verified by the institution that originally issued it, a solicitor, a notary public, or a Justice of the Peace.)
- Apply online at HEC website: http://eportal.hec.gov.pk/loa . After registering and filling your profile, please select “Learning Opportunities Abroad” under “Scholarship and Grant” menu in left hand side panel of the online portal. After that, download New Zealand form and fill it.
- Carefully read all instructions (Click here) and fill New Zealand application form as per guidelines & download by (Click here)
- Attach deposit slip of Rs.300/- (in original) deposited through HEC online Account No. 17427900133401 in HBL, Shalimar Recording Company Branch, H-9, Islamabad. Payments can also be made to HEC through HBL online facility. This facility is available in all branches of Habib Bank Ltd.
How to Send Hardcopy:
- Send HEC application from printed copy (fee deposit slip & along with supporting documents) and New Zealand application form (separate set) with attested copies of all educational documents from matric onwards viz. transcripts, certificates, degrees, IBCC equivalency, CNIC, research proposal, proof of English language proficiency i.e. IELTS/TOEFL etc.
All the applications for Masters/PhD without submitting both New Zealand Application form and online HEC form will not be entertained in any case.
Please send your hardcopies of applications on or before the deadline 25th March, 2019
- Commonwealth New Zealand does not accept direct applications. All nominations from Pakistan will be routed via HEC.
- HEC endorses equal opportunity; therefore, females are encouraged to apply.
- HEC will shortlist eligible applicants based on selection criteria i.e. highest academic merit, quality & relevancy of candidate’s selected field with Pakistan’s future development needs (as identified by New Zealand as priority areas).
- By-hand applications, incomplete applications or applications received after the deadline will NOT be accepted. The recommendation of nominating agency i.e. HEC will be final and binding.
- Please note that HEC has facilitation role in nomination process, as final selection will be made by the donor country. Further, HEC will have no financial liability regarding this scholarship.
- In case of submitting false information at any stage, HEC reserves the rights to cancel and debar for all future scholarships as well as impose penalty, as decided by HEC.
Please send your hardcopies of applications on or before the deadline 25th March, 2019 on the address given below:
Learning Opportunities Abroad (LOA) Scholarship Cell
HRD Division, Higher Education Commission
Sector H-8/1, Islamabad.